Thursday, May 8, 2014

Spring Food Plots Are Officially Planted

Well I expected to post this at least a week earlier than this, but spring turkey season booked up more than expected (it's a good thing) so the food plots went in a little late. Starting with an overgrown field was a lot of work. This is what my bottom field looked like two months ago.


It was a crazy winter and I wasn't sure if it was ever going to end. I don't think it started warming up until the middle of April. I decided the first time I laid eyes on the overhead of this property that this would be my prime food plot area.


Today I finished my groundwork and planted my spring deer crops.


Hopefully in a few weeks we will start to see some greenery popping up in this dirt. Because it was an overgrown field, I decided to plant a spring crop of mostly buckwheat to help with the soil quality for a subsequent fall planting this year. To compliment my buckwheat I planted cowpeas, grain sorghum, and a pinch of sunflowers. I plan to cut this in the fall and plant some combination of clover in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment